Monday, March 11, 2013

Cheating

As I've mentioned before, and if you've been reading all my posts up to now, you'll know that I'm not easily fazed by things that happen in the shop. However, every now and then, I get a customer or experience that takes me out of my comfort zone and still manages to rattle me.
Today, I had a woman, maybe in her mid-30s, looking for some essentials for a romantic weekend get-away. She asked for whip cream and advice on other purchases. When I asked her to elaborate a little more so I could help her find the right items, she told me that she was having an affair, and this was going to be the first time they were going to "do it".
She mentioned she and her husband have been together since she was 17, they have two teenage sons, and she was over him "being a dick". Maybe he's cheating on her, maybe she's looking for a way out; she did mention she was leaving her husband in a year. I don't know. What I do know is that I was extremely uncomfortable. The man she was cheating with is also married, and she said that in her defense his wife was never home. Again, I don't know. The whole thing was weird. People are going to do what they want to do, and we really shouldn't judge what they do, but I was not comfortable with the whole situation. Whatever. I'm sure she had her reasons. She was very nice and very nervous about this weekend. What made me uncomfortable was helping her pick out lingerie and giving advice on how to cheat on her husband. It was very surreal, but she didn't come to be ostracized, nor am I in a place to judge, so I helped her as best as I could.
The entire time I helped her pick out lingerie, I had to act like what she was doing was the most natural thing in the world, when really it's not the worst, but I don't agree with it. I think when it comes to retail, or sales of any kind, sometimes you have to sell a product or deal with a customer that you don't necessarily agree with. This is the hardest part of the job. I understand that sometimes you just have to suck it up and do your job, but how far do you allow yourself to go before your morals take over? This experience was slightly awkward, but I've had to deal with worse issues. This may seem completely warped, but sometimes when I sell ED pills, I do wonder if any of the shadier-looking men are using them to rape women. Working in this industry opens your eyes and mind to things you otherwise wouldn't think of on your own. Another product I have a problem selling is our whip cream cartridges. If you don't know, some people like to use them to get high. If you want to do that, go for it, but I'm not going to stand at the counter and tell you how to do it, or tell you which "poppers" work the best.
It.makes.me.uncomfortable. I guess that's where I draw the line.
I know that the people that come in to the shop are adults, and they know what they are doing, for the most part. I'm not trying to judge anyone, I don't mean to put anyone down for the choices they make; really, it's your life. I just wanted to tell you all that I do have my limits, and I do have things that make me uneasy. I don't think it's my place to meddle in anyone's life or offer advice when it's not wanted, but I didn't hold my tongue easily. But hey, I'm only human too, and I know there are more than enough people that think what I do is disgusting and immoral. God knows I've lived my life my way. I can only hope that the customer from today finds what she is looking for, and wish that none of you are ever in that predicament.
Sorry for the long and serious tone of this post, but working at a sex shop is more than just dicks and anal probes. See you guys tomorrow for Toy Tuesday. I promise I'll bring my sense of humor :)

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment